1973 Siva S160 Spyder


This rare kit car (one of 12 produced) was made into a Matchbox toy in the 1970s, despite being such an obscure vehicle. But hey, judging from the interesting looks, I can see the appeal of owning both the matchbox and the real thing.


I honestly can't find much info in SIVA. What does it stand for? Who are they? I can only seem to gather they made kit car bodies available in parts or as a functioning whole.

The Spyder was originally to be sold by Marcos, another kit maker, but they dropped the idea and SIVA redesigned it.


The chassis is a Volkswagen Beetle platform, and a four-cylinder engine is similarly mounted in the rear powering the rear wheels.

Styling is classic 70s wedge, with a small tapered nose, pop-up headlights, and a large squared-off rear. Gullwing doors are an extra plus.


The seller of this example says they have owned it since 1979 and have overseen a complete restoration over the years, inside and out, mechanical and cosmetic. They do say it runs, but has been used only on special occasions. They speculate it could very well be the only one left.

Available here on ebay in Loudon, Tennessee with bidding at $2,024.

3 comments:

  1. I used to have the matchbox toy as a child and did actually see one once on a car transporter lorry circa mid 70's by my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have the matchbox toy as a child and did actually see one once on a car transporter lorry circa mid 70's by my home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want to own one of these, but I'd love to ride in one at least once. It looks like if you believed hard enough you could fly into outer space with it.

    Sarah | AAA Aero Auto Transport Inc

    ReplyDelete